|Toronto Real Estate News from Paul Chan and Ewan French||September 2018 |
Here is a sneak preview of our upcoming listing for a rare townhouse right beside Yonge and Bloor!
Inspecting your home each season decreases the need for expensive repairs. This month’s article includes a fall maintenance checklist that will help keep your home in tip-top shape.
There are also some little-known uses for Epsom salt around the home as well as a few of the latest apps for all those proud pet parents out there!
Thanks so much for checking out this month’s newsletter. Please get in touch if you have any questions or comments regarding the articles, or real estate in general — it’d be great to hear from you!
Paul Chan and Ewan French
|COMING SOON – NEW LISTING NEAR YONGE AND BLOOR|
|Rare opportunity to live in exclusive large townhouse in top location in Toronto near Yonge & Bloor!|
Create your dream home or invest in a top neighbourhood with a large 2 bedroom home. Features wood-burning fireplace, 2 large balconies overlooking courtyard (refurbished 2015), updated windows, central air unit (2016) plus 1 parking space and 2 huge storage lockers.
Best location near Yonge/Bloor subway, restaurants, shops, U of T And Yorkville!
Be the first to book a showing starting next week!
Schedule your private showing by contacting me below.
Founder Modern Family Realtor
“The highest compliment you can give me is a Referral!”
|TORONTO REAL ESTATE MARKET UPDATE|
|Home sales up compared to same time last year.|
Toronto Real Estate Board President Garry Bhaura announced sales and price increases on a year-over-year basis in August.
Greater Toronto Area REALTORS® reported 6,839 sales through TREB’s MLS® System in August 2018 – an 8.5 per cent increase compared to August 2017.
Both the average selling price, at $765,270, and the MLS® Home Price Index Composite Benchmark for August 2018 were up compared to the same month in 2017, by 4.7 per cent and 1.5 per cent respectively. The average selling price increased by more than the MLS® HPI Composite due, at least in part, to a change in the mix of sales compared to last year. Detached home sales were up by double digits on a year-over-year percentage basis – substantially more than many other less-expensive home types.
“It is encouraging to see a continued resurgence in the demand for ownership housing. Many home buyers who had initially moved to the sidelines due to the Ontario Fair Housing Plan and new mortgage lending guidelines have renewed their search for a home and are getting deals done much more so than last year. In a region where the economy remains strong and the population continues to grow, ownership housing remains a solid long-term investment,” said Mr. Bhaura.
Month-over-month sales and price growth also continued in August. On a preliminary seasonally adjusted basis, August 2018 sales were up by two per cent compared to July 2018. The seasonally adjusted August 2018 average selling price was down slightly by 0.2 per cent compared to July 2018, following strong monthly increases in May, June and July.
|Don’t miss this amazing all-night, city-wide contemporary art event!|
The magic of Nuit Blanche returns to Toronto on Saturday, September 29th when hundreds of artists will transform the city with contemporary art projects that take place from sunset to sunrise.
The theme this year is “You Are Here” which showcases Toronto as a city of change, a city in progress and one of endless personal, collective and cultural histories.
The artists and curators of Nuit Blanche 2018 invite you to join them to unfold, reinterpret, question, listen and disrupt so that Toronto can be seen from a fresh perspective.
For the 13th edition of Nuit Blanche, art enthusiasts will be able to experience artworks at Scarborough Civic Centre and Scarborough Town Centre in addition to the downtown exhibition sites.
It’s easy to access the all-night art show by foot, bike, transit or car. There will be extended TTC service on part of the subway line and partial road closures will make access easy for pedestrians. Experience the exhibitions, explore different neighbourhoods and take in the all-night art party!
|FALL FIX-UPS: DON’T LET YOUR HOME FALL APART|
|Stave off winter breakdowns by tackling tasks ahead of time!|
Taking the time to regularly maintain your property is critical as it helps protect your most valuable investment.
It’s also much more cost effective to proactively fix small problems as opposed to fixing them once they’re past the point of no return.
Regular maintenance should be part of your routine so here’s a fall home maintenance checklist to help keep you organized:
- Lawn Love – Rake up leaves and aerate/fertilize your lawn.
Get Cracking – Fix any cracks or gaps you see in the driveway.
- Safety First – Test and clean your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
- Furnace Fix – Inspect your furnace filter and schedule a furnace tune-up.
- Roofing Repair – Check your roof for leaks and damaged shingles.
- Clearing a Clog – Clean leaves from gutters and test downspouts with a hose.
- Chimney Sweep – Inspect your chimney for obstructions such as bird’s nests.
- Cool Weather Ahead – Check the weatherstripping on your windows and doors.
- Pest Proofing – Check your home’s exterior for any holes that rodents could use to gain entry.
- Foundation Fix – Ensure water doesn’t pool around your home as it can cause flooding and damage your foundation.
Preventative maintenance will help ensure small problems don’t turn into big headaches that need professional attention on short notice. Just a little time and planning will help you maintain your home’s value and you’ll also save money each month as your home will be much more efficient.
|PET PARENTING? YES, THERE’S AN APP FOR THAT!|
|Pet Parenting? Yes, there’s an app for that too!|
As proud pet parents, we’re always looking for ways to make our furry friends’ lives better.
There have been huge advances in smart home technology for pets but with these apps, all you need is your smartphone!
- PetCoach – This is perfect for new and seasoned pet owners. Whether you need a second opinion or it’s after hours for your vet, this app has all the answers!
- BringFido – This handy app lets you know which hotels, attractions and restaurants welcome pets so you won’t have to leave your hound at home.
- Dogo – This dog training app is based on positive clicker training. It’s fun, comes with a built-in clicker and monitors your progress. It will then personalize future training sessions according to your feedback.
Be a plugged in pet owner and let these handy tools help keep your pet healthy and happy. All apps are available for both Android and iOS and none of them cost a cent!
|EXTRAORDINARY USES FOR EPSOM SALT|
|This versatile household staple has an array of surprising uses!|
Most of us know that adding Epsom salts to your bath helps relax muscles and relieve stress but here are a few lesser-known reasons why you should always keep Epsom salt in your home:
- House Cleaner – Mix Epsom salt with dish soap to scrub off stains on tile and countertops.
- Splinter Hint – Dissolve a cup of Epsom salt in a tub of hot water and soak the affected area for a few minutes.
- Deter Critters – Spread a light dusting around garbage cans to deter pesky critters like raccoons as they hate the taste.
- Help Your Garden Grow – Sprinkle a tablespoon of Epsom salt before you plant your veggies and flowers as it acts as a magnesium fertilizer.
These are just a few of the many ways you can use this inexpensive, natural product that can be found at any drugstore. This mineral mixture has many more uses so make sure you stock up because once you’ve completed all that cleaning and gardening, you’ll want a long soak in the bath!